Mareham-Le-Fen Village Hall

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional
Valid CSS!

The village hall was built as a War memorial to those who lost their lives in the 1914-18 conflict

Following a meeting on 5th July, 1919
A Committee was formed to raise £500.  A Grand Fete to be held on Wednesday
16th July 1919

26th July 1919
Peace celebrations took place in the village
A photograph of which shows the hall had been built by this time,this original hall was a military building made from timber and corrugated iron in the 1970s the outer steel had begun to corrode and plastic covered steel was used for the cladding

A report in the Horncastle News for 26th July 1919
read as follows
Major Ellwood DSO M.C., John C. Hodson, Rev. F. O. Williams, Mr. and Mrs. Reuben Johnson subscribed £40.  Free plum cake and bread and butter tea to all.   Sports held in Manor House Gardens and field.  A brass band had been started  and a jazz band organised and lead the procession round the village.  Several lads in the procession “nearly all sporting gay colours”, fancy dress.  Procession went to Harry Johnson’s field, and visited Wilfred Johnson (a war victim).  The procession reformed and went on its way, to the Manor House grounds for tea for the children.  Later tea for adults.  There were sports – it rained.

That was the Past, what of its future ?
A village hall committee was formed to raise funding to ensure that the village will continue to have a Hall in the future.
The existing hall,while still serving its purpose now has a very limited life span and the committee has been investigating all possible options to replace the hall
However, a small committee no matter how dedicated they may be, will have difficulty raising the amount of funding needed without the backing of the village in general.
SO PLEASE make use of the hall, come to the events in the hall, make use of the classes that are run there
and if you win the lottery you could always make a donation