Documents Of Village History

Records from 1800s
Mareham-le-fen records collected in 1910
Part of Lindsey, Horncastle soke, union, petty session division & county court district, rural deanery of Gartree, Archdeaconry of Stow & dioceses of Lincoln.
Mareham-le-fen is a parish and pleasant village 6 1/2 miles north east of from Tattershall station
On the Lincoln Boston branch of the great northern railway, 6 miles south of Horncastle and 13 miles North of Boston in the Lindsey division of the county .
The church of St. Helens, thoroughly restored and re-seated in 1873, is a building of oolite in the early English and decorated styles , consisting of a Chancel, Nave, aisles, South porch, and an embattled western tower with four panelled and crocheted pinnacles, containing 3 bells:
The stained east window and reredos were the gift of J Corbett Esq. Of Imber Court Surrey(d.1882):
There are 250 sittings (seats in the church?).
The register dates from the year 1562.
The living is a rectory, average net yearly value £333 including 307 acres of glebe with Residence in the gift of the Bishop of Manchester and held since 1907 by the Rev Frederick John Williamson M.A. of St Johns College Cambridge.
The Wesleyan chapel erected in 1891 at a cost of £1800, is of brick with stone facings in the Gothic style, there is also a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The Daffodil nursery of Mr T Kime in this parish, consists of about 30 acres of land, the whole of which is under cultivation for the growing of daffodils and furnishes employment for many of the villagers.
The inhabitants are entitled to the benefits of the Alms houses at Revesby.
The Hon. Richard Philip Stanhope, of Revesby is lord of the manor and the principal land owner but there are a large number of small free holders.
The soil is sandy loam, subsoil, gravel and white clay.
Chief crops barley, oats, turnips and potatoes.
The area is 2198 acres, rateable value £2949
The population in 1901 was 680 in the civil 596 in the ecclesiastical parish.
By local government board order 20,166March 24th 1887 a detached part of Revesby was annexed to Mareham-le-fen
Parish clerk: Edward Coupeland.
Post: M. O. & Thomas Sarjanson Chapman Sub ­;postmaster
Letters arrive by mail cart from Boston 7.10 a.m & by foot messenger at 2.40 p.m
Dispatched at 10.25 AM & 6 p.m; Sundays 5.50 p.m
Wall letterbox Tattershall road, cleared at 10.30p.m & 5.40 p.m Sundays 10.50 a.m
Public elementary endowed School(mixed) erected in 1841 & enlarged in 1880 by James Banks Stanhope esq of Revesby abbey for 140 children; average attendance 106.
The school has several endowments in land, one of which was given in 1849 by the Ven. William Goodenough, archdeacon of Carlisle a former Rector of this parish
Edwin Eddles school master , Mrs Eddles Mistress
CARRIERS
Mark Abbott to Boston, Wed. John S Cargill, moorhouses to Boston Wed & Sat,
Leonard Effield to Spilsby Mon; Boston Wed; Horncastle Sat
Fred Mason To Tattershall Station every day